Useful Information


Expressions of politeness Useful words
Thank you – Paldies
Please/you’re welcome – Lūdzu
Good morning – Labrīt
Good day/afternoon – Labdien
Good evening – Labvakar
Hello/greetings – Sveiki
Good-bye/see you again – Uz redzēšanos
Good night – Ar labu nakti
Cheers! – Priekā!
Yes – Jā
No – Nē
Taxi – Taksometrs
Bus/coach – Autobuss
Shop – Veikals
Police – Policija
Currency exchange – Valūtas maiņa
Hotel – Viesnīca  

You can look up translation from English in Latvian using Tilde Translator


Where to seek for help

The single emergency Hotline number 112 will provide information on what to do in certain situations, or connect you to the appropriate service – emergency medical, fire department, natural gas emergency, or the police. The number 112 is toll-free and reachable from land lines as well as from mobile phones.

Information Hotline

The Hotline 1188 provides information about business addresses, hours, service providers, state institutions, public transport timetables, concerts and events, the location of the nearest service provider, as well as all vital tourism information – about accommodations, museums, attractions, restaurants and cafes, and medical centers. The Hotline is reachable 24 hours per day. Information is provided in Latvian, Russian, and English.

Tourist Police in Riga

Riga Municipal Police has a specialised Tourist Unit, which ensures public order, as well as provides information to foreign visitors about the opportunity for assistance in case of incidents like theft, lost property and fraud. A 24-hour information Hotline +371 67181818 has been introduced for foreign nationals. Information is provided in Latvian, Russian, and English.

Medical help

If you are an EU citizen who requires medical attention while in Latvia, make sure that the medical centre accepts the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The EHIC confirms the right to receive the necessary and/or emergency medical treatment to the same extent as would be received by a local resident.

If you are not an EU citizen and do not have an EHIC card, but require emergency medical assistance, you will have to pay the full cost of the services. Acquiring a travel insurance policy is recommended.



You can: